Okaihau

Okaihau

This small settlement services its nearby rural community. It’s name means “feast of the winds” This refers to Okaihau’s location on a 200m ridge overlooking the upper reaches of the Hokianga Harbour and the Waihou Valley.

Located on the western side of Lake Omapere in Northland, the township of Okaihau was established in 1862 when a group of Canadian settlers began clearing land in the area. Look out for the huge remnant of puriri trees in the local school grounds. These confirm that this locality was originally densely forested.

The entire area is also rich in pioneer and Maori cultural history. It's special claim to fame is a fire service museum with a large collection of vehicles, uniforms, photographs and memorabilia.

Once a hub of early agricultural settlement and development, the town has a few shops and services, a cafe and a golf course.

Heading out of Okaihau on Horeke Rd pause at the Okaihau Memorial Gates in honour of our fallen WW1 soldiers.

Surrounding Areas Include

  • Kaikohe is just down the road and has accommodation, eateries and shops
  • Kerikeri - where the Bike Repair Shop is found, plus lots of accommodation, shopping and activities